Supported NAMA for Improvement of Road-based Freight sector
|Type of action
|Submitted to UNFCCC registry
|Start of initiative
|Financing and support details
|Financing received to-date
|Principal source of financing
|Principal type of financing
|Capacity building required
|Technology transfer required
|Ministry of Transport, Colombia
|Organization providing technical support
Accelerate the renovation of the cargo vehicle fleet with the aim to improve economic competitiveness and environmental performance of the freight transport sector.
Activities: (2015 - 2016)
The programme to accelerate vehicle renovation in the freight transport sector has already existed since 2005.
- Existing regulatory instruments: Government decree to define diesel fuel quality sold in Colombia (max. sulphur content: 50 ppm).
- Economic instrument: ‘Renovation Fund for Cargo Vehicles’ (FRVC) aiming at business formalisation, reducing the oversupply of cargo vehicles, and on the administration of financial incentives for the replacement or scrapping of obsolete road freight vehicles.
The activities under this NAMA additionally are:
- Technical assistance on setting up institutional framework
- Improvement of the MRV setup
Colombia will advance its National Logistics Policy with the help of Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) support for a reform program to modernize logistical and freight transport systems.
The program aims to improve Colombia's competitiveness by reducing logistics costs and time required to process imports and exports as well as internal commerce. Specifically, the program seeks to contribute to the institutionalization of the National Logistics Policy by:
- Strengthening the institutional and logistical information framework;
- Spurring intermodal transport, urban logistics, and specialized logistics infrastructure;
- Improving foreign trade monitoring and facilitation;
- Fostering environmental sustainability and strategies to mitigate climate change, such as sustainable freight logistics; and
- Establishing transport policy and regulation, particularly for freight transported by motor vehicles that will promote the sector’s modernization.
These activities are part of a package of measures that Colombia has committed to carry out under an IDB policy based loan (PBL) for $300 million. PBLs are flexible, fast-disbursing instruments that provide IDB borrowing member countries with resources to finance priority programs. Program results must be verified as a condition for continued disbursements.
Impact and MRV
|Cumulative GHG reductions: No data available
No information has been provided on mitigative capacity
Various cobenefits have been identified from the implementation of the NAMA, including improvements in health (by improved road safety and public health in general), productivity, reduced energy/fuel consumption, and improved conditions of congestion. The cobenefits estimations to date are:
- 470 road fatalities avoided per year - 2,600 serious accidents (involves human injuries) avoided per year - 15,000 minor transit incidents per year
|Information has not been provided
|Information has not been provided
The parameters used to develop the initial MRV concept are the following:
- Vehicle equivalent emission factor (g pollutant /km) based on vehicle fuel consumption.
- Vehicle activity factor (distance travelled in a year)
- Vehicle fleet number divided into categories
- Number of vehicles
- Fatalities and accidents report