Residential buildings energy efficiency in Morocco
|Focus area|| |
|Type of action||Strategy/Policy|
|Submitted to UNFCCC registry||No|
|Start of initiative|| |
|Financing and support details|
|Financing status||Seeking financing|
|Total cost|| |
|Financing requested|| |
|Financing received to-date|| |
|Principal source of financing|| |
|Principal type of financing|| |
|Capacity building required||Unknown|
|Technology transfer required||Unknown|
|International funder(s)||GEF, AfDB|
|Organization providing technical support||RCREEE, Perspectives, Alcor|
Incorporate several measures to incentivize the uptake of solar hot water systems, accelerate the adoption of compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFL), implement measures related to the thermal performance of buildings and incorporate energy efficiency labeling of appliances.
Activities: (2012 - 2014)
Incorporate a number of measures and build on existing and planned government initiatives:
- Solar water heater market development. The Government of Morocco is aiming at reaching an installed capacity of approximately 1.7 million square meters by 2020.
- Expanded CFL distribution. Morocco aims to distribute some 23 million CFLs to reduce peak load.
- Implementation and enforcement of residential building codes. Building regulations are currently under development, supported with an application for GEF funding for a scheme covering 400,000 houses.
- Energy-saving labelling of domestic appliances, especially for refrigerators and air conditioners.
- Other measures, such as the "20-20" initiative in which households that achieve a 20% reduction in energy usage benefit from an additional 20% rebate on their bill.
Impact and MRV
|Cumulative GHG reductions: No data available|
No information has been provided on mitigative capacity
|Social:|| Information has not been provided
|Economic:|| Information has not been provided
|Environmental:|| Information has not been provided
The MRV approach still has to be developed. It will draw on CDM whole-building methodologies, either “Energy efficiency technologies and fuel switching in new buildings” (AM0091), or small scale methodologies for individual actions (such as AMS-II.C, AMS III-AE).