NAMA in renewable energy and energy efficiency
|Focus area||Renewable energy (unspecified), Energy efficiency|
|Type of action||Not known|
|Submitted to UNFCCC registry||No|
|Start of initiative||2011|
|Financing and support details|
|Financing status||Not known|
|Total cost|| |
|Financing requested|| |
|Financing received to-date||US$ 1 mln|
|Principal source of financing||Multilateral|
|Principal type of financing||Grant|
|Capacity building required||Yes|
|Technology transfer required||Yes|
|Proponent(s)||Government of Barbados|
|International funder(s)||Global Environment Facility (GEF)|
|Organization providing technical support||Inter-American Development Bank (IDB)|
The general objective is to promote renewable energy and energy efficiency in Barbados, thus reducing the country’s dependency from imported fossil fuels, enhancing security and stability in energy supply, and improving overall environmental sustainability in the country.
The GEF provided a $1 million grant to the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) to support the Government of Barbados in undertaking activities to support policies in renewable energy and energy efficiency. As one of the outputs of this project, the IDB is supporting the development of a NAMA.
The IDB had a call for expressions of interest in 2011 for organizations to provide technical assistance to meet the objectives specified.These include:
- Design a strategy to ensure the achievement of prioritized mitigation options.
- Recommend how the measures will be implemented from the institutional, regulatory, financial and technical point of view.
- Define options to promote private-public partnerships.
- Define the financial and investment design to be applied in order to support the measures identified.
- Define a framework for Measurement, Reporting and Verification (MRV).
Impact and MRV
|Cumulative GHG reductions: No data available|
No information has been provided on mitigative capacity
|Social:|| Information has not been provided
|Economic:|| Information has not been provided
|Environmental:|| Information has not been provided
No MRV plan has been defined